Friday, December 3, 2010

Happy Pizza Friday!

I'm glad it's Pizza Friday today. It's been snowing here in the 'burgh, and I've had my first week of working my PT job (that is, in addition to teaching three classes and my private students--for a total of six different work locations in the course of a week--yikes!), and I'm ready to kick it.

We are serious about our Pizza Friday. It's a challenge to come up with a delicious pizza every week, and we're not always successful (the week before Thanksgiving was a bust, for example, mostly because we were determined to use what we had on hand, which was a strange assortment of odds and ends). Here are some of our most delicious pies:


#1. Roasted peppers, onions, and ricotta, with homemade tomato sauce on sourdough crust. Slice some red and yellow bell peppers and red onions, drizzle with olive oil, a bit of balsamic vinegar, and liberal amounts of salt and pepper, roast in 400F oven until a bit blackened. Put tomato sauce and dollops of ricotta atop the crust, then spread the veggies over the top.



#2. Spinach white pizza. Starting again with our sourdough crust, we make a simple garlic béchamel sauce, mix in some frozen chopped spinach (thawed) and put that atop the pizza. Then, top with mozzarrella. When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan, especially REALLY GOOD parm.



#3. I think this is my all-time favorite: pear, chevre (goat cheese), and caramelized onions, topped with baby arugula. First, caramelize some thinly sliced red onions in butter (melt butter over medium-low heat, add the onions and stir frequently until they've colored nicely). Thinly slice some pears (we used Bosc) and arrange them atop your crust, and then distribute the onions and crumbled chevre. When it comes out of the oven, cover it in arugula and drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil, and some coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. In every bite, you get the sweet, juicy pear, the mildly sweet onions, the tangy goat cheese, and the spicy arugula--absolutely divine.

What should it be for this week??

5 comments:

  1. MAN. That pear creation looks amazing. I don't know if you could top that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy. Cow. I'm not sure you should attempt topping these three pizzas or you may suddenly be translated from this earth to bake in heaven. I'm not sure it's your time. There are too many mouths left to feed on earth. So spare yourselves!!! Stop the madness! It's too risky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Tummy is rumbling just by the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pizza Fridays too! It’s the time where I get a mouthful of my favorite food. But, you’re right it could be a bit of a challenge to think of the next flavor. That’s why we frequent pizza parlors that allow customers to customize their pizza toppings.

    Carlene Boley

    ReplyDelete
  5. That vegan pizza looks yummy! It has all my favorite herbs on it. Who says vegans can’t have a healthy and drool-worthy slice of pizza? I love to make plain cheese pizzas, and I can have them ready in less than 30 minutes.

    Carlene Boley

    ReplyDelete