Monday, March 2, 2009

Six month inventory

I could be using this time much more wisely, but I justify it in that I'm listening to the piece I'm playing in a recital later this week. Although, I don't really know for sure what the instrumentation is. I know there is a string quartet involved, but I found several recordings with different ensembles, and I don't even know what the guy who contacted me does. Nevertheless, therein lies my justification.

Last week, I had the pleasure of going to the dentist.



I have had the same dentist ever since I started going to the dentist, and he knows the interior of my mouth more intimately than anyone else in the world. He has pulled many baby teeth, he has given me fillings (two), he has spent five minutes with me every six months for the past 18 or so years of my life. This time, particularly, I was struck with how much changes in the period of six months.

It seems like such a small amount of time, but so much can change. For instance, last appointment, I had just recently become engaged. This appointment, I have just been married (it's our two-month-aversary today). And next appointment, I don't even know where I will be, or doing what. It's pretty wild.

Andy and I have given up sweets for Lent. This has been an interesting experience. More than anything, it makes one aware of how often one eats unconsciously. If you go to a recital, there are sure to be cookies and cream puffs and all sorts of things. If you go to a church function, the same holds true. I have been of the habit of eating as many of these delicious tidbits as my stomach could handle, any time they were offered to me. Reflecting upon this, I realize that perhaps it is not the best way to go about life, nor is it the best way to fulfill my dream of becoming a supermodel.

I'm beginning to feel guilty for sitting here in the library with all these studious scholars, with tabs open on my browser only to my gmail, our blog, and my facebook account. I suppose I should go loaf at home--and by "loaf' I do mean clean up and do laundry while continuing to listen to my Vaughn-Williams.

Here's to the next six months!

No comments:

Post a Comment